Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Micrometals PFC torroid inductor calculation

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Just done Torroid (SH134060-2) with 34 turns which gives L0 = 51uH
And At 5.6Amps L = 43uH
However, their inductor calculator says 34 turns gives L0 = 117uH and L = 100uH at 5.6 Amps.

I used the permeability coefficient given on page 32 of their application guide.

Can you confirm? I hope their coefficiencts arent wrong elsewhere too?

SH134060-2

Micrometals application guide

Al value according to catalog is 102 nH, thus 118 uH nominal inductance for 34 turns. If you measure different value, it's probably other core.

Thanks, yes i forgot to update the permeability value in the template i'd made out

Attachments

• Mag inc coeffs frm.zip
    159.1 KB · Views: 73
With the AL value, the inductance is very quickly and accurately calculated as FvM as already stated above in post #2.

Thanks yes, thats only the AL value at zero current.
Yes, definitely. A plot is provided in the datasheet for AL value Vs Ampere-turns. You could read the AL value for your Ampere-turns from there. The method of calculating inductance from the AL value is the same.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: