Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Microcontrollers PIC Basic vs C Compilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahir4awan

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have read it thousand times that Basic code is slower than C code. My question is if Basic code is so slow then why it is in market and why there are hundred of books on PIC Basic because every time you ask someone which language to use he will definitely say C language.
Second what is the power of Basic compiler I mean what is the limit that you have to use C compilers. I mean in hobby level projects can be programed in basic then why use C.

Pic basic is a compiled language the same as C, I do not use C, but do have a version of basic. The main difference is going to be in the library's that are used when the code is compiled and how efficient they are.

But when I ask people which language is a good choice 95% say C language.
Do you agree that to blink LEDs, ADC, LCD, Seven Segment Display, Simple Input Data we need C language, why not basic.
I understand that at industry level the code is too big so they have to use C. But as a engineering student or a hobbyist do you think that Basic is not enough.

For sure is enough. The advantage of Basic over C is the simplicity of the Code. Probably most people advice you about that becouse if you learn how to program C you can program 90% of uC on the market so if you want to move to other uCs like MSP430, ARM, Coldfire, or even high-end Microchip uCs you got to program in C. With Basic you are very restricted to some uCs. I have never used a Basic compiler but i heared that they go some bugs they are not very reliable. With basic you got a lower level of optimization and it is a less standarized programming language. Althought most uC compilers are not strict Ansi-C, most of its code is portable to other compilers (even different devices) if you know how to write a generic code. BASIC does not got any kind of standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.