Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microcontroller programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debracom

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This might seem a weird question, but I can't seem to find a good solution.

I want to make a programmer for a AVR microchip. both DIP and SMD versions. for DIP I use a 20 pins normal socket, though I shouldn't know how to obtain a "socket"(or anything alike) for SMD chips. Do I have to solder and desolder them every time or ... ? That should not only take a lot of time & work but I think I'd destroy a lot of chips also.

This is a home made project, I have a good magnifying glass and different soldering pieces but nothing really industrial so it should be able to be soldered @ home.

Thank you

To solder and desolder is not a solution. There are several manufacturers of sockets for exactly this problems. The hobby solution is to buy a smd socket (i.e. Enplas Burn-in sockets) and to solder an adapter by yourself.
The expensive solution is to buy an adapter from one of the professional programmer manufacturer like Conitec and so on...
If you are interested I can send you further information on socket manufacturer.

Regards
felix12000

well yes I would like the information.
guyATdebracomDOTbe
I have checked Enplas Burn-in sockets but I can't obtain these in my country (belgium)

The only thing I could find that could be usefull was : https://be.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/42267266.jpg

but how do these work? how am I sure that the pins are properly on the right connection? I can't imagine this stuff is magnetic or something.

What type of AVR do you want to program ?

If you mean a xx2313 in a SO20 package enplas has the following product
OTS-20(28)-1.27-04

There is a cheaper solution wit a socket. Tomorrow I can send you the type
and the distributor.

Regards
felix1200

The only thing I could find that could be usefull was : h**p://be.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/42267266.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.