Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller Pic18/pic32

Status
Not open for further replies.

bahya

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,
In my project , I have to program a microcontroller but I still didn't choose the right one.
My question is for wich one can I use the RS232 , for PIC18 or PIC32?
And what about STM32?
thanks.

Almost any microcontroller will have a UART for RS232, including PIC18 and PIC32. I don't know if all PIC18's have a UART, but I've never seen one without.

The STM32 is a different thing; much more powerful but (in my opinion) much harder to use and overkill for a simple project.

It sounds to me like you need a PIC18 chip.

Thanks FoxyRick!
My project is to developp a sequencer-based on microcontroller and I want to program it with C so I think, I can do it with PIC32 wich there is more precision !!

Usually a microprocessor is selected based on required RAM capacity and MIPS (instruction speed). Normally a project specification should allow a rough estimation of it.

I agree, that PIC32 is a powerful processor. With little embedded progamming knowledge, the learning curve will be probably slower at the start due to the more complex processor architecture, tools and libraries. At present, PIC32 is mostly a domain of professional software guys.

In my project , I have to program a microcontroller but I still didn't choose the right one.
My question is for wich one can I use the RS232 , for PIC18 or PIC32?
And what about STM32?

Without a detailed description of your project and its requirements, a meaningful recommendation cannot be offered.

Elaborate on your designs tasks, requirements, etc, then one of us can offer advice as to which microcontroller best fits your design.

BigDog

Without a detailed description of your project and its requirements, a meaningful recommendation cannot be offered.

Elaborate on your designs tasks, requirements, etc, then one of us can offer advice as to which microcontroller best fits your design.

BigDog

i'll explain my project:
I want to create a board of 2Koctet with two columns one for (mot 32 bits) and the seconde for time .And I want 32 output in my chronogramme with more precision
I have another problem , in Ram or in Eprom that I should store the board ?

octets are Bytes in common terms. Do you mean 2kB data storage, or 2k sequence points (= 32 kByte)?
Intended speed is the other key parameter, required interfaces are also interesting.

"mot" is an equivocal term, I think.

octets are Bytes in common terms. Do you mean 2kB data storage, or 2k sequence points (= 32 kByte)?
Intended speed is the other key parameter, required interfaces are also interesting.

"mot" is an equivocal term, I think.

It's 2KB data storage !!

Then a PIC18 can work for th eapplication, unless there are contradicting requirements.

My question was : if I can store my informations in RAM or in Eprom ?And what is the size if each one , for example for PIC18 ?

Depends on the application. If the data is constant, flash storage may be preferred. I assumed run-time variable data, that would be stored in RAM. For the capacity of individual chips, you should review a Microchip product selector. Large PIC18 devices have up to 4kB RAM and 128 kB Flash.

thanks FvM.
What about the programator that I should use ?

Programming and debugging for all PIC chips up to PIC32 can be best performed with MPLAB and e.g. PICkit 3. For the C compiler, you have a wide choice between Microchip and various third party products.

Status
Not open for further replies.