Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

siteplayer

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microcontroller networking

Dear ALL

Kindly let me know which is the best protocol that can be used to network 3 or more micrcontrollers? The total wire length is about 1500 ft at least.

AKSHAT MEHRA

For such length of wire X.10 protocols suits your application.

hai
you can use rs 485 protocol
which is simpler

regards

sun

Even RS232 daisy chained on CAT5 cable (with MAX232 level converters) will work without problems at low speed rate.

hi,

i have a experience of the above situation. the project was a building fire alarm system which has a master control unit at the ground and 6 to 7 floor control unit.
the communication was bidirectional. they all connected via just 2 wires.

i used rs485 and at89c52. the communication is mode 3 serial communication(interrupt driven.)

it is really easy and very flexible. all communication with just 2 wires.

arnab
vu2bpw

May also consider using external RS232<->Rs422 converter. It depends on how many units you are building. If it is going to be just a few units, it might not worth to take RS485 in chip level. Instead, using a simple MAX232 for full-duplex operation and use an external RS232<->RS422 converter could retain full duplex operation and make software more simple.

That sort of converter is around US$10-20.

John

Use current loop like this diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.