Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microcontroller interfacing with GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_anderson

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gps microcontroller

Hi
i want to interfac a PIC microcontroller to a GPS so i can read the incoming data from the GPS (coordinates), any ideas, similar work, suggestions, libraries.
thank you.

microcontroller gps

Which type of GPS, you are going to interface. u can split the coordinates value separately from the whole data. Explain me what you need

gps microcontrollers

i donot have a specific type frankly i would be very grateful if u can recomende me a particular one.
thank you

gps interfacing with microcontroller

I suggest you to interface Garmin GPS 18-PC in NMEA format it is Cheaper and easy to use. use PIC MCU for Data Acquisition and Control

mr_anderson

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
gps microcontroller interface

Here are tutorials for you.

https://www.kronosrobotics.com/Projects/GPS.shtml

With these, I learned all about doing what you are trying to do. First to learn though, i connected my GPS module to my computer and used MATLAB to understand how the data system works, then I redid it.

microcontroller interfacing

You could also use a uBlox GPS unit that interfaces with a standard serial interface.

interfacing gps with microcontroller

hi .. i am doing a vechile tracking system in which i am planning to use the garmin gps with pic microcontroller only....can u help me in finding the circuit as wel as coding i wil be highly grateful.... i wil gone thrgh tutorials linked in this page ...but i stil cant find ...plzzz help guys...

gps microcontroler

I had done vehicle navigation and tracking using
PIC16F628A
PIC18F452
and Garmin 18 PC GPS

it is more about algorithm then circuit.
what kinda techniquie will u follow?

gps module microcontroller

hi I want tı do gsm with pic project with modul xt55 where ı can start? can u help me?

gps and microcontroller

hi
anyone knows how can i interface a zilog microcontroller or a slim board to GPS??
Hope someone can give me some ideas
thank you:D

gps to microcontroller

love_lee said:
hi
anyone knows how can i interface a zilog microcontroller or a slim board to GPS??
Hope someone can give me some ideas
thank you:D
Most GPS Modules have a serial interface - you simply connect the UART of your microcontroller to the serial port of the GPS receiver. Most receivers will start sending data as soon as power is applied. The data is typically in 'NMEA' format. Of course all of this can vary, depending on the GPS receiver you are using. Documentation on the NMEA protocol can be found at: **broken link removed**

microcontroller can gps

thanks for the info =)

does it mean that i can easily interface GPS to MCU if my GPS device have a USB port????Is there any required specifications such as TTL or I2R?

Re: microcontroller can gps

Hello!

UART is not USB.
However, there are USB to UART conversion chips, that create a virtual com port
on your PC.
But as you were talking about a zilog controller, you can probably connect the
GPS (almost) directly to the controller. Almost because they may not use the
same voltages.
You can have a look here for GPS modules.
**broken link removed**
They are delivered with source code (for MSP430, but it's C code). And they
recently hired a development engineer: me!
There is also an article about GPS here:

Dora.

love_lee said:
thanks for the info =)

does it mean that i can easily interface GPS to MCU if my GPS device have a USB port????Is there any required specifications such as TTL or I2R?

Hi

I'm trying to connect a GPS unit (GPS-610F) to a GENIE E28 PIC chip through a UART (SC16C2552B from Phillips/NXP), but I'm having trouble connecting the UART up to the GPS. All I want it to do is take the serial data from the GPS and output it again in binary format through the 8 data bus pins (D0 - D7) Specifically, I am unsure how to connect the read and write registers up.

Any help would be appreciated.

mav3r1ck

Hey i have a problem to interfacing EG-T10 GPS Receiver Module MCX to micro atmega8. any suggestion. source code is really helpfull.Thanks

check my UDF function for getting lat long from nema data

unsigned int1 get_loc( void )
{
unsigned int16 gps_buf_index;
unsigned temp_buff[10];

gps_dat_ready_flag = LOW;

for ( gps_buf_index = 0; gps_buf_index < GPS_BUFFER_SIZE;gps_buf_index++)
{
gps_buff[ gps_buf_index ] = fgetc(GPS_COM);
}
//$GPGGA,182948,2456.7194,N,06703.6381,E,1,04,09.0,00051.8,M,-044.6,M,,*66
if(gps_buff[13] = ',' && gps_buff[14] != ',')
{ //get Latitude
temp_buff[0] = gps_buff[14];
temp_buff[1] = gps_buff[15];
temp_buff[2] = gps_buff[16];
temp_buff[3] = gps_buff[17];
temp_buff[4] = 0;

current_loc.lat = atol(temp_buff);

temp_buff[0] = gps_buff[19];
temp_buff[1] = gps_buff[20];
//temp_buff[2] = gps_buff[21];
// temp_buff[3] = gps_buff[22];
temp_buff[2] = 0;

current_loc.lat_deg = atol(temp_buff);

//get Longitude
temp_buff[0] = gps_buff[26];
temp_buff[1] = gps_buff[27];
temp_buff[2] = gps_buff[28];
temp_buff[3] = gps_buff[29];
temp_buff[4] = gps_buff[30];
temp_buff[5] = 0;

current_loc.lon = atol(temp_buff);

temp_buff[0] = gps_buff[32];
temp_buff[1] = gps_buff[33];
//temp_buff[2] = gps_buff[34];
//temp_buff[3] = gps_buff[35];
temp_buff[2] = 0;

current_loc.lon_deg = atol(temp_buff);

strncpy (gps_smsdat, gps_buff + 14, 24);
gps_dat_ready_flag = high;
}
}

Hello Guys, I think I've the same problem but not actually like the posted so much, I've a GPS Module Global Sat EM-411 & I want to interface it with a PIC16F877A, so my question is, should I make an interfacing circuit or I can connect the module directly to the PIC as it will be only one pin that I recieve a serial data from it & I can connect it directly to the PIC to take the frame of data of the module & divide it & use it inside the PIC by the written code?

eng.ahmed said:
Hello Guys, I think I've the same problem but not actually like the posted so much, I've a GPS Module Global Sat EM-411 & I want to interface it with a PIC16F877A, so my question is, should I make an interfacing circuit or I can connect the module directly to the PIC as it will be only one pin that I recieve a serial data from it & I can connect it directly to the PIC to take the frame of data of the module & divide it & use it inside the PIC by the written code?

Well if the module is capable to send serial data based on RS232 that is 5V level, then you can connect the module directly to the 16F877 but if the voltage potentials are below 3.5 volts then you'll need to use a MAX232 in between, you can simply use a NPN instead of MAX if you like to simplify the design.

Best Regards
JD

Hi, I want to read data from a GPS with USB interface into PIC.

4 lines; vss, d+, d- and ground.

Any suggestions?

thanks

hi guys.. m also interfacin San Joes GPS with PIC16F877A.
according to GPS Module datasheet it has uart of signal level 2.8V * 2... so is it necessary for me to interface a max232 in between??? or else any other way of interfacing (like using transistor) ??

i am attaching device specification sheet of my GPS module for ur reference..

pls help me out on this...

thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.