Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller accesses EEPROM wiht I2C interface ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to configrate my IC with an EEPROM, should I select which speed mode of I2C Bus? Does any EEPROM provide high-speed mode of I2C Bus?

Thanks!

The high-speed mode (3.4Mbps) is normally found only on LCD display, high bit count ADC or high capacity EEPROM devices due to the need to transfer large amount of data. Most maintenance and control applications, the typical reason to use the I²C-bus, continue to operate at 100 kbps.
I assume that "IC" in your post means master (microcontroller) ..
If you desperately need this high speed you have to check if your hardware (master = microcontroller and slave = EEProm) is rated for high speed.
If they are rated for different speed(s), depending on type of microcontroller, there will be a couple of bits to configure internal timer to generate different SCL speeds ..
In most applications I2C will happily operate at the standard speed of 100kbps and that is more than enough ..
Regards,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.