Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip ICE 2000 alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmatias

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Anyone knows of any alternative to the ICE2000 development tool?
It's very expensive and most 99% of developers cannot afford it.

Thanks,
Rodrigo

First of all thanks for your answer.
It connects to the serial port, what is very good in my opinion. I prefer this option than the paralel port. And it's cheaper to convert to USB.
I like most of the features I read on the webpage. The IDE (TDE) looks very complete. Do you know anyone using this hardware that could help getting more details on it?

It would be great not only for me, but for all the people that reads this forum and knows how expensive is ICE 2000 (who would ever understand why!).

Best regards,
Rodrigo

Hello,

Before you jump to ICE2000, did you worked with ICD and ICD2? In more of the cases they do excellent job, by viewing registers, stepping the program, looking the EEPROM, etc.

I used Mathias some time ago - it's like ICD with multiple break points (was no trace memory in my model).

ICE2000 has the ability to record many steps before the event occures, so you can understand easy what's up.

regards
Luben

rsmatias,

You can download full operating manual and many more things from Tech-Tools, so you can compare it with ICD and ICD2, and of coarse with your expectations.
g579

Hi,

I haven't tried any of this options. Neither ICD, ICD2, ICE2000 or any other tool. Since I started using microchip processors I allways programmed Assembler and programmed ICs for testing or proto-boards.
But problem comes when trying to solve "weird" problems on program runtime.
Sometimes I send hours, days, trying to solve a problem that I know that it would be solved in a question of minutes, using a real time debug, or an incircuit debugger.

But maybe ICD2 can help me solving my problems this time. ICE2000 is still VERY EXPENSIVE.

I'll read some more information on the options available and decide on what's the best solution.

If I have any other question, I'll put it here.

Thanks for your help.
Rodrigo

Status
Not open for further replies.