Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Micro-controller Internal USB controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRASAN DUTT RAJU

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Generally we use FTDI or CP2102 for USB to serial bridge controller. But recently in one of my project I've used LPC13xx in which there is internal USB controller.

So my question is how a host detect if the attached device having IC has its own internal USB controller? Will it behave in the same way as that of a normal hardware attached to the host?

As my project hardware is not finished now so I'm unable to check the behavior of the device. Anyone, who have used latest ICs which has its internal USB controller , Please help.

USB device properties are anounced to the host by descriptors. The host don't need to know which hardware is used in an USB device.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for the reply, but I'm still not clear. Does it need any driver for assigning COM port to the attached device? In case it requires are there separate drivers provided according to different chip architectures like ARM, AVR & so?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still not clear. Does it need any driver for assigning COM port to the attached device? In case it requires are there separate drivers provided according to different chip architectures like ARM, AVR & so?

An USB-to-serial bridge can use the Windows standard driver usbser.sys. You have to provide an *.inf file that associates the PID and VID numbers defined in your device descriptors with this driver. The endpoints defined in the descriptors must be compatbible with the structure expected by usbser.sys.

To learn about the requirements, you'll best review the CDC device examples available for most USB microcontrollers.

Status
Not open for further replies.