Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Methods of Antenna Detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardwareChap

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've seen antenna detection done where a pull down resistor is built into the antenna to detect if an antenna is present or not. If say I was using an off the shelf dipole antenna (no built in resistor), what would be a good alternative way of being able to detect if that antenna was connected or not? It would be connected to an N-Type (or maybe SMA) connector without a mechanical antenna detect, so I'd be looking to do this discretely.

I've seen antenna detection done where a pull down resistor is built into the antenna to detect if an antenna is present or not. If say I was using an off the shelf dipole antenna (no built in resistor), what would be a good alternative way of being able to detect if that antenna was connected or not? It would be connected to an N-Type (or maybe SMA) connector without a mechanical antenna detect, so I'd be looking to do this discretely.

Depends on what point is desired. If you need to detect antenna connection to a device like a transmitter, use a SWR indicator or a reflectometer. A matched antenna will generate a low SWR response, a disconnected antenna a high SWR output.

Another problem is to detect antenna presence in a remote location. Again antenna matching is important but a radar-type device is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back