Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metal RFID (metal RFID system )

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob1990

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I am trying to design and build a RFID system (tag and reader).
The requirements are the following:
1.The tag must be read by the reader up to a meter.
2.The tag tag should be small about=11mmx11mmx11mm)
3.The tag will be mounted on a metal

In my opinion I will use low frequency (125khz) because the skin effect will be lower and the signal will not be so affected by the metal. Also, I was thinking to use ferrite between the metal and the tag to increase the read range.
But I have a disadvantage by using low frequency. I cannot reach a meter.
The components that I was thinking to use are: tag:TK5551, reader: u2270b, and I was thinking to amplify the magnetic field by adding an amplifier if that would be possible. by using those components the max read range that I could achieve is 10cm without amplifier or something else.

If you have better ideas please help,any ideas would be acceptable and let me know how can I reach at least half meter by using a tag mounted on metal at what frequency and what tag and reader should I use please?

I NEED HELP URGENTLY PLEASEE.

I doubt if it is possible to design such a system @ 125KHz which could read 1m.
@13.56MHz, with great difficulty, it is possible to achieve 20-30cm though the size of the tag may be bigger than 11x11x11mm

and moreover the size restriction on your tag .. coil design may not be possible to achieve good inductance and Q-factor. Do you have any literature on this for better understanding and possibility ?

If you are particular on 1m reading range, best option is to go for UHF (865 - 868MHz) and you could very easily achieve upto 7-8m with a 8-9dBi Patch Antenna.

If I go for UHF how am i going to design and build the tag and the reader? I think there are no commercial tag and readers that could match the specifications I want

what are your specifications ?

There are numerous companies working and developing UFH RFID readers and tags. You could either go for a passive tag or an active tag.

What is the main application of your project ?

the main application of the project is to identify metals by scanning them with the reader. that 's all.the specifications I mentioned them earlier. what else do you need to know? I would prefer passive tag

1) If you insist on using LF RFID system
There has been LF RFID systems delivering a maximum read range about 1 m on the market. However, to achieve this read range really pushes all components to their extremes. Therefore, it is not an easy task.

2) If you turn to UHF RFID system
All requirements u mentioned can be realized by UHF RFID systems. 1 m will be a piece of cake. You can google "small ceramic UHF tag" and find some even smaller than 11 mm*11 mm*11 mm. On-metal tags are born to be applied to metal objects.

Can I add an amplifier on the output of the u2270b in order to increase the voltage->increase the reading distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.