Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metal Line Capacitance In Intergrated Circuits Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky5

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I have a couple of questions about capacitance between metal lines in ICs.

1) If I have a couple of metal lines running parallel for around a thousand microns. What would happen to the value of capacitance between them if I were to move them closer or further apart? Would the capacitance increase if they are closer and decrease if they are further apart?

2) Would this be a linear phenomenon to measure?

3) Do all the metals react the same in IC's?

If someone could possibly help, I would sincerely appreciate it.

John

Hi,
Are you talking about the Tracks inside the ICs ?.
If YES can you please upload a partial picture concerned to your question for a better elaboration ?

I just wanted to ask a hypothetical question on the subject, I am not working on a specific project.

Yes I am referring to an IC. As far as I know, the closer together the lines are the higher the capacitance between these lines and the further apart they are, the less capacitance. What I am not sure about though, is this a linear capacitance?

For example, will the capacitance reduce by 50% if I double the distance between the two lines?

Thanks

Sparky5

why not sure ? this is something you should have learned at high school physics.

I didnt take Physics in high school, I took Chemistry. I also cant remember much from my Diploma course. It was a good few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.