Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Memory Requirement in Oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sahara

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

can anybody let me know that MEMORY require in oscilloscope???? why people today more talk on record length requirement in your osciilloscope

also, can anybody help to know that wht is the basic fundamental difference Logic anlayzer and oscilloscpe?

i think both will measures digital signals i.e. Pulse, square waves...

Both are devices to draw a graph of voltage against time.

Logic analyzers are optimized to record digital signals. Oscilloscopes are optimized to record analog signals.

Internally, an oscilloscope, no matter what technology it uses, will show a trace displaced by an amount proportional to the analog signal voltage fed into it.

Logic analyzers do not need to see anything other than 'high' or 'low' at their inputs so that is all they record. They often have other features like being able to start recording when a particular pattern on the inputs is recognized.

The amount of memory depends on several things but primarily on the amount of information you want to store and how long is to be spent capturing it. As these increase, so does the memory requirement. Remember that to capture data accurately, you need to 'snapshot' it, digitize it and store it quickly enough that the positions of rising and falling edges (the pulse length) is not seen to be too far from real position.

Brian.

Memory requirements, as pointed out above, determine how much details could be captured and stored in a give snapshot. It is important for fast varying / sharp rising and falling waveforms.
Raoof

Status
Not open for further replies.