Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Memory Map Decoder for 8051 variant

Status
Not open for further replies.

czpir

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All

I want to design a memory map decoder for the following scenario.

I am using a 8051 variant with a special memory interface. This has 22 address lines and 8 data lines. This means that potentially 4 mb of memory or i/o can be interfaced.

I want to add 2 mb of SRAM and also 32 bytes of i/o to this microcontroller. This is what I have done

I have connected the address lines A0-A4 to the i/o device and data lines are D0 to D7, I have connected the address lines A0-A21 to the same ones on the SRAM.

This leaves the address line A22 free, I also have an active low CS line which would go low for any i/o or memory access. I also have WR and RD lines.

Any help for on deriving the the CS line for the SRAM and I/O device would be appreciated, can this be done using the 74138 or other ?

CZPIR.

For a CS on 2 MB boundary simply connect A20 to CS of your Ram
This will give you 2 MB starting at 0x000000 (connect RD+ WR+ A0..A20 to the SRAM )
Your IO could be made with the inverted A20 then the IO will start at 0x200000.

usbman

Connections for the I/O

UsbMan

Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate more on the following:

Can the I/O be connected using A0..A4 ? I would use the inverted signal of A20 for the CS for the I/O. Can you advice me on the inverter chip for a 3volt design ?

I guess that the I/O would begin at 0X2000000 and not at 0X200000 as you have mentioned.

I do notice that the CS line on my microontroller would not be used. This is a negatively active line that would go low when I/O or RAM access is made.

Regards

CZPir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back