Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

medium-high voltage, high power PFC SMPS help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geneiusxie

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm trying to build a switched mode power supply that:

-outputs regulated 200v dc, although the exact voltage doesn't really matter, 100-400v is good, as long as it stays constant (little voltage ripple)
-outputs 700w continuous (also having a surge power capability of 1500w would be even better)
-runs off of 115v ac mains (having the option of use it off of 230v mains would be nice too)
-must have a power factor of >0.9, >90% efficiency, and cannot trip a 15A circuit breaker - to provide 1000w of burst power, it might have to store some power for a fraction of a second to provide that burst without tripping the breaker

This is to provide power for a custom audio amplifier I'm designing, so it would obviously have to provide big bursts of power, up to 2x the continuous power rating

Would a PFC chip like this https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ucc28019a.pdf be what I'm looking for? Then I could just make a standard switched inductor based voltage regulator to reduce the ripple further? Any help would be appreciated, I've been researching for quite a while now.

The energy storage capability would need an exact specification (xx Ws storage with less than yy V DC bus voltage drop). At first sight it seems to refer to unrealistic capacitance values for bus capacitors. Fortunately tripping a 15 A circuit breaker isn't the same thing as exceeding 15 A input current.

Yeah, I was thinking I could use capacitor storage before the voltage regulating stage, thereby maintaining a relatively constant voltage, even with the capacitor voltage dropping.
But the main question would be how I would get an active PFC stage and regulate output voltage? It should be pretty simple, by just using a PFC IC like https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ucc28019a.pdf and using an PWM switched inductor regulator but I'm pretty new to power supply design.

PFC switchers are generally providing regulated output voltage - within the limits of the design topology. The DC bus voltage must be above Vin,peak by nature of the PFC switcher circuit, so a usual wide range SMPS (Vin = 90 - 260 VAC) has > 365, typical 400 VDC bus voltage.

The PFC principle involves also an output ripple according to the sin² shaped energy flow, bus capacitor size and output power.

Alright, thanks. I'll try to use a PFC IC and test the voltage with a multimeter. I'll get back to you in a few days if it works or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.