Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring Voltage from the Mains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiann

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My project is to build a digital watt meter, to measure the Voltage, Current, Power, etc. from an appliance connected.

My question is, is there a way I could measure voltage from a 240V/50Hz mains connecting to an appliance?

Please do not suggest Voltmeter, because the watt meter I'm building will be a stand-alone product.

simple method.
use a step down transformer and bring the 240V to a lower level. and using resistor dividers , feed it to the adc of the microcontroller.
and for current measurement just use a CT and you have the current.
then its just substituion in the equation to know the power.

Its easy,
Use transformer for best isolation and conversion of voltages to low rang and use ADC to measure your voltage.
but you need to make a lookup table for translating ADC values to voltages scaled from 240 to 5-10 volts by transformer.

Not that easy without those specific ICs. cameo_2007 you are a advance member how can you suggest this type of incomplete solution. Fiann says "the watt meter I'm building will be a stand-alone product" He will have to measure p.f. (power factor) also to know wattage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back