Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring two Currents using a Single CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srinivas Rao W

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

My application involves measurement of voltages, current, power and power factor. My load is a compressor with two windings.
Input to the load will be two sets of R, Y, and B voltages and 6 ADC channels to measure the six voltages. The problem is I need to measure both the windings R Phase current with ONE CT with ofcource one ADC channel, and I need to implement some algorithms based on current of independent windings.

In electrical engineering, is it advisable to measure two currents with one CT?

Pls guide me if any worked on measuring two currents with one CT or any such applications?

My load (both windings) draws large current during start up but it will have some time gap in feeding power to the windings. I need to capture initial peak currents of both the windings with one CT(making use of this time gap) and implement an algorithm.

How feasable this will be with one CT.

Regards
Srinivas

what ???

better you read electrical engg. books

One CT can only read one current, to read two currents with one CT is almost next to impossible and not advisable for large currents.
one idea:the two voltages are phase shifted so their currents will have that much of phase shift, considering the laods on the two are identical.

If the source is a leniar source i mean if O/P(A)+O/P(B)=O/P(A+B), then the total load current measured by a single CT will be sum of equal currents for both the input sources (provided the source resistance is same) .. but as vinod already mentioned, u cant measure current flowing thorugh 2 wires using a single CT .. and definitely a BIG NO in case of high currents ..

too complex how bout using a relay....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back