Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring Noise Figure of Active Circuits usind S-Parameters files (.s2p) in ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeago

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody.

I'm modelling a receiver ina Agilent ADS using the S-Parameters files exported by our Network Analyzer from real circuit-blocks (Filter, LNA, etc).

The point is that the ADS calculate the NF of the filters, but don't the LNA one. In the frequency range that the lna's s21 goes above 0dB, its NF is shown as zero.

I'm attaching some pics to make my doubt more clear. The nf of the filter seems to be its s21 just inverted... but I don't if it's right or wrong.

Filter Response:
s21-s11_filtro.png

Filter's NF:
nf2_filtro.png

LNA's Response
s21_s11_lna.png

LNA's NF (?):
nf2_lna.png
Thank you.

For passive circuits NF is equal to insertion loss...That's why your insertion loss is at the same time your Noise Figure..
For circuits with active devices, it's not so true.From pure s-parameters, you can not simulate NF.The linear model must have either s-parameters with Noise Parameters or linear model must have intrinsic Noise elements in it..

Reactions: Teeago

Teeago

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
It's exactly what I was wary... Just needed more opinions.

Thank you, mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back