Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring input impedance and current density in Candence

Status
Not open for further replies.

netbug

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I am designing a VCO running at 80 MHz. Can you help me in two very basic doubts ?

1 - Measure input impedance of the oscillator. Should I insert an AC source. Where should I have to open the loop ?

2 - Calculate the current's density of the circuit. For eg. plot a graph ID/W, that is for each value of W (1u : 10u), sweep the current (0.5 mA : 5 mA). The goal is to calculate the optimum J=ID/W.

Best regards all,

Pedro Cardoso

Re: Measuring input impedance and current density in Candenc

netbug said:
1 - Measure input impedance of the oscillator. Should I insert an AC source.
Yes.
netbug said:
Where should I have to open the loop ?
Between the control voltage (e.g. PD output) and VCO control input.

netbug said:
2 - Calculate the current's density of the circuit. For eg. plot a graph ID/W, that is for each value of W (1u : 10u), sweep the current (0.5 mA : 5 mA). The goal is to calculate the optimum J=ID/W.
What's your criterion for optimum? Minimum J ? Then you'd get 0.5 mA/10µm , which doesn't make much sense. I think the optimum is dictated by the economic lifetime of the chip, mainly depending on the temperature-dependent electromigration of the metal wires. Depends (a little bit) on the used process: kind of metal alloy and its thickness (height), and usually lies in the order of 1mA/µm for a max. chip operating temperature of 125°C.

Re: Measuring input impedance and current density in Candenc

Hi thanks for your reply.

At this point, I have no PLL designed, only a stand-alone oscillator. What I meant was, where to open the loop on the oscillator ?

The second question is related to current's density and how it varies according to MOSFET's dimensions and current variations. I just wanted to plot a graph to see how current varies with W.

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Pedro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back