Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring Dielectric Constant

Status
Not open for further replies.

mprathap

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I followed the procedure as described in **broken link removed** to measure the dielectric constant of FR4.

I made a open microstrip line of width 3 mm and length 4.5mm. The characteristic impedance of such a line according to the analytical formula turns out to be around 48.8 ohms if the dielectric constant is 4.4.

However when I measure the input admittance and calculate the characteristic impedance, it turns out to be around 12 ohms. Therefore my calculation does not yield a value near 4.4.

According to the measurement, the dielectric constant comes to around 16.2 which is clearly wrong.

Any tips on what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks.

[/url]

It is a very simplistic papaer, using closed form equations to approximate microstrip impedances. No attention to microstrip disconinuitites was made, such as end effect, connector effect, radiation, dispersion, ........

And, could be a mistake in the equation derivations too.

Better transmission line type dielectric measurements utilize a substrate that you measure, etch off some length of line, measure again, and the deduce the dielectric contant from the change in measured data (the discontinuities cancel out in such a case).

I don't think is a problem related to the method. In fact the impedance value you expect from your microstrip is 48.8 ohm instead of the measured value of 12 ohm: there is some problem in the measurement or in the microstrip geometry.
You stated that you built an open microstrip: how did you measure its impedance ?
Why you didn't terminate the other side on 50 ohm load ?
Furthermore, in your post you didn't specify the dielectric height of your substrate.
However, if you don't need a very precise value you can simply consider your microstrip as a parallel plate capacitor (L and W should be large enough in order the inductance to be negligible). By means of a network analyzer measure its capacitance; frequency should be kept low (around 1 to 10 MHz) to avoid errors due to parasitics effects such as fringe or inductive. From the simple formula:
C=8.84*εr*W*L/h
where C is capacitance in pF, W width of microstrip in m, L lenght of microstrip in m and h height of substrate in m.

You can recover the value of εr as:

εr=C*h/(8.84*W*L)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back