Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring 4-20mA current loop without common ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

haxan7

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am powering my microcontroller and a device that outputs 4-20mA current from the same power supply, so I need a circuit or an IC that can measure 4-20mA loop without a common ground, because they will already have a common ground.

Add a small resistor in series with the loop and measure the voltage across the resistor with a Difference Amp or an Instrumentation (differential) Amp.

I am powering my microcontroller and a device that outputs 4-20mA current from the same power supply, so I need a circuit or an IC that can measure 4-20mA loop without a common ground, because they will already have a common ground.

I do not see any problem with common ground. The current signal is only dependent on measured quantity and does not get affected by ground loops.

Status
Not open for further replies.