Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[measurement] LNA+buffer, how is actual power gain of LNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wccheng

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
actual result lna

Dear all,

I have a question about the measurement of LNA. I hope anyone give me a help. For my design, I just construct a CMOS LNA. Because of measurement, I have added one buffer at output and get a output in 50 ohms match. So, my circuit is LNA+buffer with input and output are 50ohms matching for measurement. If I want to know the power or voltage gain of the LNA alone, how could I do it?

I think that I should make one standalone buffer. Then measure its' gain. However, the input of the buffer is not 50ohms. For the case of LNA+buffer, the LNA output is not 50ohms. I cannot pretend the network analyzer source (50ohms) + buffer. Therefore, how could i cancel out the effect of buffer in order to get the real LNA performance?

Thanks

wccheng

This is a classicl problem for RFICs.

I think that the only think you can do is to accurately fit the measurement with simulation (so modify the design if they doesn't fit), maybe with more than one single case (for example with different supply voltages, at different temperatures, measuring also linearity and so on..).
Once the meas and sim fit, your LNA is known.

I hope it can help.
Mazz

Status
Not open for further replies.