Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measure the pressure of water in the pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

tictac

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I want to measure the pressure of water that moves in the pipe.this pipe is made of plastic.and have a pressure at this range(3 bar to 4 bar)
how can I measure the pressure with out any deformation of the pipe.which sensors is the best?
how does the sensor place inside the pipe to measure the pressure?
by regards,

This is not an easy task ..

Assuming that pipe under pressure slightly increases its diameter you can try to use strain gauges (see picture below) - to increase sensitivity maybe 4 of them - connect them in a bridge configuration and try to measure micro-changes of pipe's diameter ..

Regards,
IanP

tictac

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi
how Can I put the sensor to measure the pressure that water doesnt leak from the place of sensor?

tictac said:
how Can I put the sensor to measure the pressure that water doesnt leak from the place of sensor?
Stick the strain gauges on the outside of the pipe. You don't need to drill the pipe.

tictac

Its so good,but what kind of pressure sensor can I use?can you introduce me this senor by name?

By Regards

tictac said:
Its so good,but what kind of pressure sensor can I use?can you introduce me this senor by name?

- Tictac, let me introduce you to the Strain Gauge.
- Tictac, this is Strain Gauge.
- Nice to meet you! I've heard so much about you!
- Strain Gauge, this is Tictac.
- Nice to meet you!

"Strain Gauge" is the name of the sensor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strain_Gauge
It's not a pressure sensor per se, it's a deformation sensor. But you can measure a pressure inside a deformable object with a Strain Gauge. In fact, some packaged pressure sensors internally measure the deformation of the membrane with a Strain Gauge.

tictac

Hi,thank you for Intorducing.

but I know about strain gage.I want to know that which sensor from which manufacture with which model is the best for measuring the pressure of water that flow in the pipe? you know I want to stick the sensor to the pipe.

By Regards.

tictac

tictac said:
... which manufacturer ...
Omega (https://www.omega.com) makes lots of strain gauges. They also sell adhesives for attaching them. I don't know what model would be the best for you, though. It depends on the material properties and wall thickness of your pipe.

And again, strain gauge is a deformation sensor, not a pressure sensor per se. Finding out the pressure from the deformation of the pipe will, probably, take a nontrivial amount of calculation and calibration. But on the positive side, you don't needto drill a hole in the pipe for the sensor. However, if you are allowed to drill the pipe, the actual pressure transducer (like the one recommended in the IanP's last message, for example) will be 100 times easier to interface to the rest of your system.

By the way, is this an academic or commercial project ?

tictac

Hi
can you tell me ,that how can I stick the strain gage to the pipe to measure the pressure of flow water in it, with picture? the pipe is made from hard plastic.
I think that sticking the strain gage to the pipe cant measure the pressure of water in the pipe correctly.because it doesnt contact with the water.

Regards

tictac said:
can you tell me ,that how can I stick the strain gage to the pipe to measure the pressure of flow water in it, with picture?

I don't know the answer to that one. I couldn’t find the picture on the web. It strikes me that somebody have done, what you want to do, before. You might be able to find the answer in the specialized books or articles about strain gauges, by talking to the strain gauge manufacturers or by asking on a specialized forum.

I can recommend this forum (which I'm moderating): **broken link removed**.
You’ll have to formulate your question carefully. It’s a very knowledgeable, responsive and clean resource. Keep it that way.

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. And please don't shout.

tictac

Hi
Thank you so much Kender because of your guide and your patience. But I still have a question,that after a little study I ask them:D
I never shout .:|

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.