Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MCU pin driving 74HC fanout

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayd85

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am using my MCU to drive select lines of ten 74HC series multiplexers connected in parallel. Each select line presents a maximum capacitance of 10pF as per the datasheet. Which means the MCU pin has to switch a maximum of 100pF. The select lines switch approximately every 250us. In this case, do I need to have a buffer to drive the select lines or just the MCU pins will be able to drive this load adequately?

100 pF is still in a regular range and shouldn't cause problem. To reduce pin peak currents and power supply bounce, it would be a good idea to place a 50 to 100 ohm series resistor.

Reactions: mayd85

mayd85

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks FvM.

For that matter, how much of capacitive load can any regular MCU pin drive? I mean, after how much load should I start thinking of buffers?

A buffer can be necessary i you need to drive a capacitive load with fast edges, e.g. a PWM switching MOSFET, or a clock line.

Status
Not open for further replies.