Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MCP23017 I2C I/O Expander to Relay Kit with ULN2803

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinost

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have succesfully connected an MCP23017 to my Arduino Mega and got it to blink a LED using a 330 Ohm resistor. Now I am trying to drive the relay's on a Velleman K6714-16

K6714-16 datasheet: https://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/illustrated/illustrated_assembly_manual_k6714-16.pdf

MCP23017 datasheet: **broken link removed**

I connected the output pin through a 330 ohm resistor to an input pin on the Velleman K6714-16 and connected the ground pin of the Velleman card to the common ground. For some reason this works for about 5 blinks and then the MCP23017 is blown up. If I use an Arduino digital output pin instead of an MCP23017 pin everything works fine.

I think I do something wrong with the wiring.

Regards,

Edwin

After some further testing it seems the problem is of a different nature, the test with the blinking led seems to work for a few seconds and then stops blinking. After resetting the microcontroller it most of the time continues blinking until it stops again after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.