Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MC33063A minimum voltage input requirement for buck converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

seyyah

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For a 12V output with this simple switcher in buck configuration what should be the minimum input voltage and how to determine it? Thanks.

Input output difference > Output switch saturation voltage + current limiting resistor threshold, about 2 V total.
--- Updated ---

Correction, according to a AN920D, ton/(ton+toff) can't exceed about 0.86, this would increase the minimal input voltage for 12 V output to about 16 V.

Last edited:
Hi,

only a few people will have the complete datasheet information in mind, thus for such questions it´s always a good idea to give a link to the datasheet. https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/mc34063a-d.pdf

Another solution is to use:
Page11 --> claculation --> Step-down --> t_on/t_off formula.

The lower the input voltage the higher t_on/t_off.
I guess the maximum duty cycle is 100%, thus you can go simple and just set the
term below the dividing line = 0

--> V_in(min) -Vsat -V_out = 0
solved to: V_in(min) = V_out + V_sat
(ignoring the voltage drop at the shunt)

Alternatives:
* Look for application notes or design notes with a V_in(min) calculation
* Maybe the manufacturer provides selection tools or calculators for the MC633063A. Play with them to find the V_in limit.

Klaus

Input output difference > Output switch saturation voltage + current limiting resistor threshold, about 2 V total.
--- Updated ---

Correction, according to a AN920D, ton/(ton+toff) can't exceed about 0.86, this would increase the minimal input voltage for 12 V output to about 16 V.
Thanks, I could not see DCMax= 0.86 information in the datasheet and my practical tests did not comply. Now it makes sense. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back