Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

maximum current requirements for 18f4550

Status
Not open for further replies.

devil6600

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the maximum current 18f4550 chip can consume? how to calculate it? i wanted to use 18f4550 with solar panel of 200mA current rating.
thanks

what is the maximum current 18f4550 chip can consume?

The absolute maximums can be found in the datasheet:

Reference PIC18F2455/2550/4455/4550 Data Sheet, pg 367, Section 28.0 ELECTRICAL CHARACTERISTICS, Absolute Maximum Ratings:

Total power dissipation (Note 1) ...............................................................................................................................1.0W
Maximum current out of VSS pin ...........................................................................................................................300 mA
Maximum current into VDD pin ..............................................................................................................................250 mA

Input clamp current, IIK (VI < 0 or VI > VDD)...................................................................................................................... ±20 mA
Output clamp current, IOK (VO < 0 or VO > VDD) .............................................................................................................. ±20 mA
Maximum output current sunk by any I/O pin..........................................................................................................25 mA
Maximum output current sourced by any I/O pin ....................................................................................................25 mA
Maximum current sunk by all ports .......................................................................................................................200 mA
Maximum current sourced by all ports ..................................................................................................................200 mA

how to calculate it? i wanted to use 18f4550 with solar panel of 200mA current rating.

The actual current consumption depends on several factors, however is largely dependent on which peripherals are enabled and there associated loads.

Reference PIC18F2455/2550/4455/4550 Data Sheet, pg 370 - 378, Section 28.2 DC Characteristics: Power-Down and Supply Current

The above section breaks down the current usage for each peripheral in various modes of operation.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.