Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

maximum baud rate possible with PIC18F4550

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmmed Razu

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is maximum baud rate possible with PIC18F4550 running at 48MHz in asynchronous mode?

Is it 500kbps or more?

Let's assume you downloaded the datasheet from Microchip and leanred that at 40MHz, the max baud rate is about 115K with some level of error, but since this is not specified for running at 48MHz, how could we come up with a number for 48MHz ? If it was running at only 8MHz, the max baud rate is about 55K... Add 40+8 MHz baud rates... 115K + 55K.. in theory that's about 170K...

Let's assume you downloaded the datasheet from Microchip and leanred that at 40MHz, the max baud rate is about 115K with some level of error, but since this is not specified for running at 48MHz, how could we come up with a number for 48MHz ? If it was running at only 8MHz, the max baud rate is about 55K... Add 40+8 MHz baud rates... 115K + 55K.. in theory that's about 170K...

I think you you are newbie to PIC microcontroller. Look the attached figure the maximum baud rate is more than 500kbps. 48MHz is needed because high clock (Fosc) is desired for high baud rate.

USART.jpg

I'm hardly a newbe when it comes to PIC. In fact I've written a pic core in verilog that runs.
Call people newbee or other shit like wont win you many friends on this fourm especially when people are trying to help you out.
I do admit my mistake as i miss read the part number in your post. I was looking at the 16f part instead of the 18f part...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back