Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Max source and sink currents for MSP430G2210 I/O pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

kender

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Stanford, SF Bay Peninsula, California, Earth, Sol
Activity points
Folks,

I've searched the datasheet for MSP430G2210, but I can't seem to find how much can its I/O pin source and sink. The only number I was able to find was 48mA max *combined* for a port. What I want to do is to drive an LED with 10mA. Either way would do: source or sink.

Does anyone know the numbers?

- Nick

Reference: MSP430G22x0 Datasheet, Section: Outputs (Port P1), Page: 17

MSP430G2210OutputPorts.JPG

States the maximum total current per output port pin as I(OHmax) = -6mA and I(OLmax) = 6mA. Therefore, they can neither source nor sink 10mA, you will need to use a BJT or MOSFET switch.

BigDog

Hello!

The above characteristics are for output voltage, and the current is the test condition.
Of course, the safest solution is to use some kind of buffering system, transistor or fet,
which will guarantee that the low and high levels of the ports are not significantly altered.
But depending on what you do, for instance for a very low cost applications, powering a
LED directly from one port is not a problem at all. I do it frequently and it works fine.
I did a development with 5 LEDs powered directly by a port and it worked fine. Note that
recent LEDs have a very high efficiency and even if you power them at 1 mA, they are
bright enough.

So basically it depends on what you want to do. If it's for a LED blinker on TI's launchpad,
don't hesitate, and use an LED directly with the proper resistor. If what you are building is
scheduled to be a product, then you have to be more careful.

Dora.

As Dora alluded to, I should have more correctly stated as is indicated in the table previously provided, over recommended ranges of supply voltage and operating free-air temperature:

I(OHmax) = -6mA, for the Voltage Output High range of VCC - 0.6 ≦ VOH ≦ VCC

I(OLmax) = 6mA, for the Voltage Output Low range of VSS ≦ VOL ≦ VSS + 0.6

Of course, higher current levels can be sourced or sinked, if either VOH or VOL outside those ranges defined above are acceptable, in which case the following graphs are made available, on Page 18 of the datasheet, for VCC of 2.2V and 3.0V:

MSP430G2210LLOV.JPG

MSP430G2210HLOV.JPG

BigDog

Reactions: kender

kender

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.