Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

max length of jumper wire for arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi.2k17

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

what would the max length of jumper wire i can use to connect my Arduino with PIR sensor without having any signal loss? I want to keep my Arduino inside my home(just to keep it safe from air, pollution and rain and probably adding more sensor with this to have centralized control) while sensor will be out side home.

thanks.

without having any signal loss?
Without any signal loss --> zero length.

Any length will have loss.

First decide useful requirements then you can get useful answers.

What is loss? Loss in voltage, loss in signal-to-noise..

Klaus

What is loss? Loss in voltage, loss in signal-to-noise..
Klaus

I am trying to build an anti theft alarm using HC-SR501 PIR sensor module(link below) and Arduino uno r3.
I want the to keep distance between my sensor and Arduino about 7 meter. As an electronics beginner
i need to know what type of loss (voltage, signal-to-noise..etc) can be compromised in this case? if that can
not be compromised then how can we amplify that? what are my options?

thanks...

Attachments

• 1600025122835.png
    1600025122835.png
    549 bytes · Views: 206

Te output is a logic level and will only change at very low speed, therefore the wiring resistance is the dominant source of loss. The voltage drop depends on the current drawn through the cable and I would guess if you are feeding a digital input the current would be very small. Provided that you ensure the wiring is not too close to significant sources of interference, or you use a screened cable, you should be able to connect over hundreds of meters.

Brian.

Hi,

There is no datasheet with technical specifications.
Thus I don't know the signal levels of the output, nor power supply voltage range, power supply current range, power supply rejection ratio PSRR.

A digital signal is not difficult to transmit over 7m.
One just needs to clearly detect the signal level ... after 7m of cable.

Without specifications it is not possible for me to calculate something.

Klaus

The output is 3.3V logic level, 1k series resistance.

You are writing in post #1 about placing the sensor "out of home". Consider that the sensor isn't designed for outdoor usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back