Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Maury 3.5mm calibration kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

thiagoyk

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hp85052a

I have an 3.5mm calibration kit from maury, but i dont have some of the calibration coeficients to put into my VNA.
I need the loss and lengh (delay) of the female-female 3.5mm adapter.
The adapter identification is 8021A2.
I think this is the same adapter included in the HP85052A calibration kit.
Does anyone have this parameters?

gohms loss

I think you don't need it because you calibrate with female-female then replace it
with female-male the same length (it supposed to be in the calibration kit)
The female-male equal in loss and phase so in this way you are calibrated and that
the reason that they don't put the length.

pl

calculating gohms/sec

I don't have the male-female adapter.
For me the "easiest" way is to get the loss and delay coeoficients.
I know they exist. I found this parameters for the same adapter type, but for another calibration kit.
And another question, does someone knows how this parameters are defined? ?Are they only calculated or are they measured too?

calibration kit 8505d 3.5 mm

Delay for the 8021x2 series of adapters is 58 ps. If you do an adapter removal calibration then you end up with like-sexed ports and can measure group delay directly. Howver you may need to know the delay of the adapter to do that cal in the first place, but only needs to be less than 1/4 wavelength at measurement frequency.

Offset loss is 1.3 Gohms/sec (same as all the other standards).

thiagoyk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
maury cal kit 3.5mm

Thanks
I even managed to measure the delay and loss.
I only have one last question.
The Agilent VNA's uses the Gohms/sec unit for loss.
The R&S's uses dB/GHz^2.
Do you know how to make the conversion?
I have a chart with 2 different values in dB/GHz^2 for the 1.3 Gohms/s.
The values are 0.0033 and 0.0066.
I only ask this bacause i need to make measures as precise as 0.1dB at 2GHz.

I don't know. Maybe just use what R&S uses for the other standards. I don't think this is going to affect your measurement by 0.1 dB since the difference is 0.0033 dB between you two values. The larger contributions will be isolation for an S21 measurment, source match for the S11 measurement, and repeatability of connectors. Agilent has a measurement uncertainty spreadsheet for VNAs that you may be able to use. Maybe R&S has similar. Then again, are you looking for a 0.1 dB repeatability or 0.1 dB accuracy to a know loss standard. The repeatability is probably easier to get.

thiagoyk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.