Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

matrix keyboard different diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

svizoman

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

on internet I found different diagrams how to connect 4x4 matrix keyboard to a microcontroller.
this are the 4 different diagrams I found.
1st diagrams using ADC and voltage divider is understood 100%
2nd diagram with no resistors I thin is false since having no sink resistors on the output means that voltage will stay even when pin will transition from logic 1 to logic 0.
3rd diagram with pull down resistors on the output pins is actually what I am thinking to make.
4th diagram is actually same as 3rd only in reverse and I think we can use internal weak pull ups instead of one on the PCB?

Do I understand those diagrams correctly?

Attachments

• matrix keyboard.JPG
    matrix keyboard.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 68

Yes you do but bear in mind that many PIC processors have switchable internal pull-up resistors (check for RBPU bit) so unconnected lines may go high without any additional resistors being needed.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.