Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Matlab reshape error

Status
Not open for further replies.

eldamar

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone. I am trying to write matlab programme for audio compression using DCT method. Here, I posted some of the my code.
Code:
%function result = compress_dct(X, window, num_components, coeff_bits)
[X1 , f ]=wavread('samplepiano.wav');
window=35208;
num_components=100;
coeff_bits=10;
num_win = 48;
%new=numel(X1);
%disp(new);
X = reshape(X1, window, num_win); % reshape so each window is a row
Y = dct(X); % applies dct to each row
[a, I] = sort(abs(Y), 'descend');
I = I(1:num_components, :);
Matlab gives such an error when I try to execute this programme and I didn't understand why.Can you help me to fix this error,please? ( By the way, my wav file has 3379968 elements I found it with using numel(). )

Error using reshape
To RESHAPE the number of elements must not change.

Last edited by a moderator:

In your reshape operation, you are trying to create a (35208 x 48) matrix from a vector of length 3379968. Since 35208*48 = 1689984, this cannot be done.

If you only want to use the first 1689984 samples, you should write:
Code:
X = reshape(X1(1:window*num_win), window, num_win);

If you want to use all the data, you need to double num_win. In fact, since your data length divides exactly by 35208, a useful shortcut is to use "[]" for the other dimension:
Code:
X = reshape(X1, window, []);

Also, please note that your code comment is incorrect. In order to make each window a row, you must transpose the matrix (since reshape() operates column-wise):
Code:
X = reshape(X1, window, []).';

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, it is really helped me :))

Regards eldamar...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back