Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

matlab code for FPGAs via system generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuIcK-SiLvEr

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i plan to programme my spartan 3 fpga board with some simulink blocks...
Im using system generator for this purpose.
but i had doubts whether a block in simulink (simulation)eviroment could actually run on fpga board without any problems..
if there are any problems what they could be?
synthesis isnt possible..

Well our new friend is not very clear what are your doubts .. It seems that you don't believe in some magic .Listen Sytem generator is a generator of a fixed number DSP functions .. what Simulink does is just passes the parameters to produce those blocks for the functions that you simulated with the SUMULINK enviroment .. The VHDL code generated is reliable ,because it was designed to produce straight forward synthetized code .System generator won't generate a weird function not implied in the simulink toolbox ! So if you give the wrong parameters you are at fault !. There are other tools to synthesize MATLAB language .. but there are so many intrinsic function in matlab . that this MATLAB synthesis compiler being so new hasn't mapped yet .. On top is too expensive ($35,000) that is not worth mentioning ..

THANX
Ok well it is possible to write our own code in matlab e.g for a FIR filter and convert it into a simulink library module...I dont want to use pre made modules of simulink .Im writing this because we have our own parameters and design constraints for programming over FPGAs...

..Question is Can the system generator convert the S-functions i made in matlab into a good error free vhdl code. that works good on my fpga board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back