Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Material Properties at Radio Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcopoloibex

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am investigating certain phenomenon through simulations in different environments. I am looking for material properties at Radio frequencies (at least below 60 GHz). I am most interested in permittivity and conductivity of materials at different frequencies.

I would appreciate if some body help me in this regard and provide/refer me to an authentic source.

Best Regards,

Marcopoloibex,

I've been interested in a similar reference. There are many reference books about materials but usually the only properties that are listed are mechanical properties.

One thing that I have noticed is there are materials by the same name such as "Nylon" which has a different dielectric constant according to different sources. Some sources specify a range of some of the properties. This is probably because the term "Nylon" or "Bronze" (etc) are generic terms and they can be made with differnt manufacturing processes or material compositions.

I can imagine if you want material properties at 60 GHz that is no small thing because even small variations/impurities in materials can cause a noticible difference.

If you find something ... post it back here because I would like to know if there is something out there :smile:

I did find this article that mentions electrical conductivity of copper and copper alloys -- as you can see, the information isn't very exact.

The Electrical Conductivity of Wrought Copper and Copper Alloys :: KEY to METALS Articles

SagSag,

Thanks its a good source but it doesnt contain dielectric constants and conductivities of materials like wood, concrete, window glass, typical plastic for computers and other stuff, plaster board, etc.

I am interested in electrical properties at radio frequencies below 60 GHz.

At least if somebody can provide me with the electrical properties of above mentioned materials at 2.4, 5 and 60 GHz I would appreciate that.

Thanks and Best Regards,

There are many studies and publications on electrical properties of materials at RF and microwaves. You should search and find what you need.
For instance, on cement and construction materials, see Kharkovsky, S.N. et al., IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement. vol.51, No.6, Dec.2002, pp.1210-1218.
The data you want cover a wide research area, now extending to Thz range. Maybe there are some new books but there are hundreds of papers in many magazines, also recently published university theses.

It will be most unwise to just plug in any material properties for use in simulation. If you can obtain material samples, material property measurements will definitely be helpful in reducing the uncertainty.

There are many sources of data you requested. One of the best is, avaliable on Google: C.M.Alabaster: The Microwave Properties of Tissue and Other Lossy Dielectrocs, PhD Thesis, Cranfield University, UK, 2004.
Another good reference is Kapilevich, B., Litvak, B. Dtermination of Complex Permittivity.... Ariel University of Samaria, Ariel, Israel, 2010

If you are interested, I developed a microwave-noise method suitable for moving objects and irregular shapes; permittivity values were also measured by normal-incidence method. I used these methods at 4...50 GHz but any frequency can be used with real materials.

The materials u mentioned are common, therefore it should be not difficult to find relative references. BTW, I have even found dedicated papers talking about cork which is used as winebottle cap. As for the measurement, there are many ways to measure the electrical properties of materials. If u want to save time in the measurement, you can try the material analyzer from Agilent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back