Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making a usb charger using a car charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumba27

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a sony car charger (AN400) it has a input 12v/24v = 700mA can any one explene me what dose it mean?

IMG_20131001_103357.jpg

another thing is I am looking for battery which can provide that input so that I can charge my moblie any suggestion ?

I have a sony car charger (AN400) it has a input 12v/24v = 700mA can any one explene me what dose it mean?

View attachment 96816

another thing is I am looking for battery which can provide that input so that I can charge my moblie any suggestion ?

This means that this charger can be used in 12V and 24V car/truck voltage systems, and can deliver maximum up to 700mA (0,7A) of current for charging.

With this you can charge phones but not some GPS navigations and some other devices which require higher charging currents, such as 1A-2A.

Its better to use original charger with its device, and if you want to have one universal charger then get stronger charger for around 1,5A.

Best regards,
Peter

I have 8 AA battery (2450mAh) I had connected using Battery holder.I want to charge 1800mAh mobile battery.can any one tell me how many time I can charge that

Your car charger what you show us in first post, what is his output voltage 5V or higher?

For 8 AA batteries you need higher voltage if you want to charge them in serie, you need up to 12V from charger, or in parallel link they can be charged from 5V but current capacity of charger will be splitted to each battery which will be 87mA per battery.

Best regards,
Peter

I had added battery holder link please check that and tell me how many time.

Yes, this is battery holder which connect batteries in serie to achieve higher voltage around 10V if you using NiMh battery chemistry.

What is charger ouput voltage? Charger have USB female connector?

Best regards,
Peter

chargerOUTPUT - 5.0V = 1200mA

That charger is dedicated to supply or charge USB adapted devices.

This charger cannot be used for charging your batteries in that battery holder, which requires higher voltage to charge batteries in serie.

You need adequate car battery charger for 8 NiMh cells.

Best regards,
Peter

I am trying to charge my mobile using that charger and I am using those battery as an input of that charger See this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6viXXww3Ng
That charger is dedicated to supply or charge USB adapted devices.

This charger cannot be used for charging your batteries in that battery holder, which requires higher voltage to charge batteries in serie.

You need adequate car battery charger for 8 NiMh cells.

Best regards,
Peter

I am trying to charge my mobile using that charger and I am using those battery as an input of that charger See this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6viXXww3Ng

That is completely different story.

You want to use 8 AA cells to charge mobile phone over car charger.

Yes that is possible. 8 AA Alkaline cells in serie can produce 12V which is enough for this adapter to operate. But in other hand there is question of amount of electrical energy what you will try to pump from one side to other side over charger. For sure you will not be able to fully charge phone battery with one new 8 AA Alkaline pack.

Best regards,
Peter

Can u please tell me (2450mAh) 8AA rechargeable battery how much can charge it up. and how to calculate that.
That is completely different story.

You want to use 8 AA cells to charge mobile phone over car charger.

Yes that is possible. 8 AA Alkaline cells in serie can produce 12V which is enough for this adapter to operate. But in other hand there is question of amount of electrical energy what you will try to pump from one side to other side over charger. For sure you will not be able to fully charge phone battery with one new 8 AA Alkaline pack.

Best regards,
Peter

Eight AA alkaline battery cells in series produce about 12.8V when new. The voltage quickly drops to 9.6V when they are used which might not be enough for the 12V to 5V adapter to work. Then the voltage slowly drops to 8V.

The adapter is used in a car. A car battery is DEAD when its voltage has dropped to 12.6V.
Maybe the adapter will work with ten AA alkaline battery cells in series.

An AA alkaline cell has a capacity of only 1000mAh when the current is approaching 500mA and when its voltage drops to 1.2V per cell. Then ten of them in series can charge your mobile phone only one time.

this is a 2450mAh Then?
Eight AA alkaline battery cells in series produce about 12.8V when new. The voltage quickly drops to 9.6V when they are used which might not be enough for the 12V to 5V adapter to work. Then the voltage slowly drops to 8V.

The adapter is used in a car. A car battery is DEAD when its voltage has dropped to 12.6V.
Maybe the adapter will work with ten AA alkaline battery cells in series.

An AA alkaline cell has a capacity of only 1000mAh when the current is approaching 500mA and when its voltage drops to 1.2V per cell. Then ten of them in series can charge your mobile phone only one time.

Can u please tell me (2450mAh) 8AA rechargeable battery how much can charge it up. and how to calculate that.

Count that good AA Alkaline have capacity between 1500-2000mAh. For bad Chinese battery product I'm not sure maybe 200-400mAh.

Best regards,
Peter

Can u please tell me how u are calculating 8*2000 mAh or something else.
Count that good AA Alkaline have capacity between 1500-2000mAh.

Best regards,
Peter

Can u please tell me how u are calculating 8*2000 mAh or something else.

I didnt calculate nothing as 8 x 2000mAh.

Its standard capacity of that battery package.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA_battery

You use all batteries in serie to increase voltage, but whole usable capacity will be based on one battery capacity.

Read this:

Serial and Parallel Battery Configurations

Best regards,
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.