Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Make Your Own Front Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
diy front panels foils

Making front panel layouts (for use in machining blank panels) and
generating foils for front panels do not impose particularly heavy demands
on either the PC itself or the drawing program. As a rule, any drawing
program that allows multiple layers to be simultaneously displayed and
edited is fully adequate.

build your own front panel

I think few people understood exactely how you make panels.
Can you explain step by step the procedure ?
Overall how to transfer the drawing from the paper to the panel.

Thanks

Mandi

how to make front panels

If you have time, please, write how to transfer labels and drawing to panel.
Thanks in advance.

I have added the file: DIY Front Panel Foils.pdf above as it explains in more detail how to get the paper illustration onto the panel. I have had some great results using this method.

:idea: TIP: Practice on a scrap piece of plastic. The back of the enclosure comes in handy for this.

If you have access to laminator (hot/cold) panel foils can be made by printing the required design onto paper/viewfoil and laminating it. This means that the background colour and the printing colour can be anything you want. Once the design is laminated it can cut to size and be stuck onto the panel with spray on glue or double sided tape or you can get lamination pouches that are adhesive on one side. Before attaching the foil to the panel tape another sheet of paper with the outline of cut out's required for mounting components onto the panel printed on it to the panel and use this as a template for the drilling and cutting of the metal. once the lamination is on the panel all that is required is to use a scalpel or a craft knife to remove the parts of the laminate that covers any cut outs and holes.

I have added the file: DIY Front Panel Foils.pdf above as it explains in more detail how to get the paper illustration onto the panel. I have had some great results using this method.

:idea: TIP: Practice on a scrap piece of plastic. The back of the enclosure comes in handy for this.

Dear henry, I can't see any pdf file, is possible you upload ?

more importantly, for gash projects, do your labelling in "MS Presentation" (.ppt), Draw a small cross for the centre of your holes. Print out on rough paper, tape to unit/front panel, drill holes through crosses. Remove rough paper and open up holes. Print the actually big label, stick scriber through a cross to align with the holes, stick on. For durability cover with big sticky backed plastic (sold for protecting books). Does yellow slightly after a couple of years but is good and tough. Clear out holes using a countersink drill.
Very cheap and practical.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back