Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] LVS problem on Customized transformer layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

yiyen

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am now designing integrated transformer power combiners using MOS. Unfortunately, our libraries (IBM CMOS9FLP,9RF) do not include built-in transformers so we need to design and lay them out manually.

[Question 1]: Upon putting a dummy instance in schematic, placing coil layers in Virtuoso, and defining ports in both the schematic and layout views, I get an LVS error like this (DRC showed no errors): Nothing in source. Nothing in layout. Corresponding cells could not be identified. What could be the problem here? I've read that as long as the number and name of ports in schematic and layout views are the same, correspondence can be achieved and no LVS errors would occur.

[Question 2]: In case I am doing it wrong, are there other ways that allow you to create your own transformer, extract its parasitics, obtain its efficiency, have its "symbol" view and use it to connect it to the other part of the circuit, and simulate the circuit as a whole entity?

Thank you very much for your help. :|

because it is not in your LVS rules. you can either tell LVS to ignore the transformer or add it to your extract.rul (not recommended). if you read the old VPCD user guide it explains how to modify your rules file to recognize custom inductors/transformers. you obviously would have to modify the rules according to your design.

in my experience, IBM doesn't care how you pass LVS, so long as DRC, ESD, latchup, density, etc are passes unambiguously.

oermens said:
because it is not in your LVS rules. you can either tell LVS to ignore the transformer or add it to your extract.rul (not recommended). if you read the old VPCD user guide it explains how to modify your rules file to recognize custom inductors/transformers. you obviously would have to modify the rules according to your design.

in my experience, IBM doesn't care how you pass LVS, so long as DRC, ESD, latchup, density, etc are passes unambiguously.

Thanks for your suggestions! Will read that VPCD guide. Update you later =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back