Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LVS error: schematic and layout mismatch. Port undetected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahata14

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using the cadence version 6.1.3 with calibre tool. Furthermore I am using the open-source Design kit FreePDK provided in https://www.eda.ncsu.edu/wiki/NCSU_EDA_Wiki.
Herein is my problem: I can not obtain a clean LVS because I have some discrepancies. In the report says that one of the ports is undetected because of there is a short circuit between two nets in the layout.

WARNING: Short circuit - Different names on one net
Net Id:1
(1) name "gnd" at location (1.6,1.24) on layer 11 "metal1"
(2) name "out" at location (1.45,1.43) on layer 11 "metal1"
The name "gnd" was assigned to the net

I'll chech the layout circuit and those nets aren't connected to each other. Thus I dont' know how to correct this error. Maybe I didn't create the pin porperly.

If anyone can explain me how to properly connect the pins in this version of cadence it would be really kind.

Thanks in advance.

Re: LVS error: schematic and layout mismatch. Port undetecte

I think you can be rather sure that there exists a short circuit, either by pin label or due to a real short from "out" to "gnd", perhaps by "metal1" crossing a substrate tap.
Can you post (part of) the layout?

here goes the layout...By the way many thanks for your reply

Right, your NAND layout is clean. So perhaps an unintended/forgotten "out" label somewhere on the "gnd" node, may be even somewhere on the substrate (or pwell, if twin-well process)? Of course this isn't a real short circuit, just for the LVS. If you still mind, try and search for all "out" labels and check them.

I check this out but it seems that there is only one out label (which is the one needed). Maybe I am creating the pins incorrectly. May you tell me how to create a pin for cadence 6.1.3 ? Maybe I am not using the proper layer. I think that I tried all possible combinations though, but sometimes you are just missing the correct one. Btw, thanks for your help.

ahata14 said:
... Maybe I am creating the pins incorrectly. May you tell me how to create a pin for cadence 6.1.3 ? Maybe I am not using the proper layer. I think that I tried all possible combinations though, but sometimes you are just missing the correct one.
Sorry, I can't tell you more. May be you find more in this topic, and the links given there.
Good luck! erikl

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks as if there is no N+ implantation for NMOS.

pit1000 said:
Looks as if there is no N+ implantation for NMOS.
Sure, but the n-well implant is usually global for all standard cells (same height).

I meant ... (see picture)

I'm rather sure the ocher-coloured "w"-layer means p-substrate (or p-well).

erikl said:
I'm rather sure the ocher-coloured "w"-layer means p-substrate (or p-well).

Of course.
green-colored dot-filled layer - means ACTIVE (hole in mask oxide), seems like light blue-colored triangle-filled layer - means NIMPLANT layer (to form N+ areas). This last layer missed for NMOS. In result no N+ drain and source, only p-well through which "OUT" and "GND" shorted

pit1000 said:
green-colored dot-filled layer - means ACTIVE (hole in mask oxide), seems like light blue-colored triangle-filled layer - means NIMPLANT layer (to form N+ areas). This last layer missed for NMOS. In result no N+ drain and source, only p-well through which "OUT" and "GND" shorted
I think I see what you want to explain. For some processes, however, the NMOS implant layer is different (has lower implant dose) from the NIMPLANT layer (to form N+ areas in the n-well). For the lower concentration NMOS implant (in the p-substrate or p-well), the ACTIVE area ANDed with the p-substrate/p-well is used. Due to the slight under-diffusion (diffusion following the implant), the NMOS implant sufficiently surrounds the NMOS ACTIVE area. By this double utilization of the ACTIVE area layer, no further NMOS implant layer is necessary.

erikl said:
I think I see what you want to explain. For some processes, however, the NMOS implant layer is different (has lower implant dose) from the NIMPLANT layer (to form N+ areas in the n-well). For the lower concentration NMOS implant (in the p-substrate or p-well), the ACTIVE area ANDed with the p-substrate/p-well is used. Due to the slight under-diffusion (diffusion following the implant), the NMOS implant sufficiently surrounds the NMOS ACTIVE area. By this double utilization of the ACTIVE area layer, no further NMOS implant layer is necessary.

Maybe. I'm not familiar with FreePDK. I used the information from NCSU EDA Wiki.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back