Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Luminary Micro Announces 32-bit Microcontrollers for $1.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

7rots51

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
https://www.embedded-computing.com/news/db/?2312

Luminary Micro Announces 32-bit Microcontrollers for $1.00 -- First to Launch

Products Based on the ARM Cortex-M3 Processor

03/27/2006
AUSTIN, TX, USA – March 27, 2006 – Luminary Micro (www.luminarymicro.com), a fabless semiconductor company that designs, markets, and sells ARM® Cortex™-M3 processor-based microcontrollers, announces today the availability of the first members of its Stellaris™ family of 32-bit microcontrollers (MCUs), with an entry-level price of $1.00. The Stellaris family is the world's first silicon implementation of the ARM Cortex-M3 processor, and is the first time that ARM, based in the UK, has enabled a start-up company to be a lead licensing partner for one of its microprocessors. The first two members of the Stellaris family – the LM3S101 and LM3S102 – are available now.

Unprecedented Opportunity to Enter the ARM Architecture for $1.00

Re: Luminary Micro Announces 32-bit Microcontrollers for $1.

Yap but I think that 8K flash/2K RAM is so small (in my opinion) for a 32bits uC...
//a

Well,

I quote from a different forum, comp.arch.embedded
Here are the same column WEB prices, for the closest equivalent parts ( industrial tempco, as Philips don't bother with comercial anymore )
LPC2101FBD48-S $1.85/500+ Indust 8KF 2KR 70MHz
LM3S102-IRN20 $2.17/500+ Indust 8KF 2KR 20MHz
So, for 15% LESS money, you get a chip with ADC, TWO UARTs, TWO i2c, 32 io lines, many more capture channels, PLUS it has pin compatible big
brothers, should sales ever add new features ....

REAL prices can be found at Mouser where the pricing information for the Luminary comes from. The other pricing for the LPC2101 comes from Digikey, both internet focused distributors.

You judge yourself what is the better deal, getting much more and a faster device for less or being a pioneer with a very restricted device!?

Just my 2 cents, Bob

Re: Luminary Micro Announces 32-bit Microcontrollers for $1.

It seems they want to announce new parts this year.

ARM market become more dense and competetive with new players also.

This is better for ARM users & customers.

For very cost sensitive mass production design, this chip even with limited set of features has its own market place for sure . But how big ? that is the question. ALso other key parameters are not available yet , such as limitation with 20 mHz peripheirals min power consumption...

Of course our greetings to new player , as competition will brake prices and/or put pressure on already established products quality.

Artem,
even for cost sensitive applications, there is a better, faster, higer functional cheaper part already on the market. Honestly, I do not see any reason why these devices were announced except for ARM to have a test vehicle for the core.
As you can see checking the Mouser website, you have to buy >>> 5000 pieces to get anywhere close to $1 and then you get a commercial temperature range device :-(

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.