Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTI causal system question

Status
Not open for further replies.

emicho

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a causal LTI system:
h(n) = (a^n)u(n)

and we apply a step function

so by using convolution and little math
we find that

y(n) = [1-a^(n+1)]/[1-a]

my point is :
I read that if I apply a causal input to a causal system that means the output y(n) will be zero for n < 0 ;

but if we substitute some values n<0 in y(n) equation , we didn't that y(n) =0 !!!!

any explanation please !!

Hi,

Nice question, the impulse response h(n) = 0 for n<0 tells it's a causal system (represented by u(n) in your equation for IR)
for a step input (and the system is at steady state, not excited before this) the system only responds when there is first sample of non zero input signal.

Hence the y(n) = [1-a^(n+1)]/[1-a], is valid for n>0, here the n>0 is one of the condition that "you must" specify as part of y(n), which is missed out in your equation.

It is true that the y(n) equation yields values for n<0. y(n < 0) must be steady state value of h(n) (for input 0), zero in this case.

Reactions: emicho

emicho

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yes, that's make sense..
thank you very much :)

please read n > 0 as n >= 0

Reactions: emicho

emicho

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search