Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTC4020 buck/boost charger conversion to Boost only ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuhaH

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm on my way of choosing the charger for 48V Li-Ion pack. First, do you know any alternative to LTC4020 to charge the 48V pack with 2Amps? So far I think LTC4020 is the most suitable, BUT... it is a buck boost charger and at the end I only need Boost section of the charger. So is there app notes of how to modify the circuit to drop off the Buck part ? I do not wish to populate the board with these unused components for buck or is the circuit designed such way that you carry always them both ?
Juhah

Hi,

A pure buck topology has a minimum output voltage of V_in minus some voltage drop.
So if the input voltage is - let's say - 24V, then the output voltage is always above 23V.

This usually is no problem as long as the battery is healthy ... and connected the correct direction.
Therefore a pure buck needs an additional switch ... just for safety reasons.
With this additional switch it is not much effort to build a buck boost topology, maybe this is why they built it.

Klaus

LTC3862 is boost converter it will fulfill your requirements...
Boost 48V.png

View attachment 139869

Thanks for the output but LTC3862 is just a boost switcher regulator. Perhaps you could convert it to CV/CC charger with an external controller but I'm now looking for a stand alone unit. There isn't too many available as far as I have found, all of them end at 36V lacking my requirements of 48Volts. The picture you posted isn't from Linear.com ?

View attachment 139869

Thanks for the reply, LTC3862 isn't a charger but a boost converter without CV/CC. Perhaps you could build one with additional controller but I'm more looking for stand alone unit here for 12S Li-Ion.

Status
Not open for further replies.