Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LPC1102, World's smallest 32-bit ARM MCU in a 5mm2 pckg

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsanjose

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
got this information today and thought I share it with this group. NXP just announced the latest addition to their LPC1100 family, the LPC1102. It comes in a chip scale package and needs just 5 mm2 on the PCB. Handling of such devices will be limited to automated systems but it is mind-boggling how many features can be packed into such a tiny chip.
Broad availability is announced for 4th quarter but for those who want to see what the very near future holds and what kind of chips will be powering the gadgets under the Christmas tree in 2011, have a look.
A couple features upfront: 32 K Flash, 8 K SRAM, 4-channel 10-bit ADC, 4 timers.....
Check it out.
**broken link removed**

Cheers, Bob

They'r crazy man.. so many features in such a small shit.. awsome:)

it is a news and shows the trends in packaging tech for high pin counts .

srizbf
12thmay2010

zorx said:
Look at this one from Analog Devices, it is in 6x6mm package (I've just received the samples):

http://www.analog.com/en/analog-mic...crocontrollers/aduc7023/products/product.html
Hi,
if you are looking for the best analog features in a small package, no doubt, ADI is always in the picture.
If the analog features are not your primary concern, the 7023 offers max 20 I/O while it needs more than 7 times the real estate on the board. Although I do not know the pricing for the LPC1102 it might be between $1-$2 @ 1k, the ADI device is $5 from Digikey @ 1k. The 7023 is slower, needs an external oscillator for using the UART (3% accuracy versus 1% on the LPC), has an ARM7 instead of a Cortex-M0..

Apples compared to Oranges and again, if it comes down to ADC and DAC, the aduc7023 is definitely better, everything else....

After checking the LPC1300 and LPC1700 families I could see that the aduc7023 fits nicely in between the NXP offering in package size and code memory. The LPC1752 for example costs less, reference 1k pricing @ Digikey. It also has a 12-bit ADC, double the I/O, 3x performance, double the memory but it also needs 4 times the real estate on the board.
So if you need it small but not tiny and the 12-bit ADC and DAC is your focus, you are dead on.

Cheers, Bob

by the way, there is an even smaller MCU from Atmel, an AVR with 4mm2 footprint but this one plays in a different league all together.
More information on the overall smallest microcontrollers available:
**broken link removed**

Well, if you reeeeally want a small form factor mcu, and very fast 8-bit will do the job, look at Silicon Laboratory products:

**broken link removed**

"The industry’s smallest footprint MCUs down to 2 mm x 2 mm do not compromise on performance or integration. Full product line-up available in tiny packages include up to 100 MIPS CPU, 12-bit ADC, 12-bit DACs and other vital analog peripherals such as integrated precision oscillator (±2%). Cost-sensitive pin-compatible OTP options are also available.
These highly-integrated small form factor MCU devices are optimized for space-constrained, low-power, low-cost applications in consumer, industrial, communications and automotive markets. Development is quick and easy due to low-cost, professional development tools and in-system debug. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Edited]
I've just seen this:
**broken link removed**

zorx said:
Well, if you reeeeally want a small form factor mcu, and very fast 8-bit will do the job, look at Silicon Laboratory products:

**broken link removed**

I've just seen this:
**broken link removed**

More on the same subject:
http://mcu-related.com/
There is another article about "World's smallest microcontroller" without the ARM part. Competitors for the title are smallest PIC10, Smallest AVRtiny, smallest Silabs and smallest 32-bit from NXP.

Bob

Thanks a lot for this information.

Question for those interested in small MCUs:
Does your application just need a small form factor or does it need a long battery life too?
What is more important, the physical size of the package or the expected battery lifetime?
What kind of batteries (how many mAh) are you using?

I am preparing for an article about low power combined with small form factor and would like to get some inputs from this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.