Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low Frequency Dipole Antenna Design(108-117Mhz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

piyush608

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to design a LOG Periodic Dipole antenna for a frequency rage of (108-117Mhz) .for that I have started from the scratch

Plz help me with the following points:

1)m thinking of designing simple dipole antenna(108-117Mhz)first rather going for the log periodic straight away
-suggest some books(or give links of books.if you have) having design example.m having balanis and j d kraus
-which simulation software to use (m little familiar to HFSS) and how?

plz help

Hello Piyush

Dipole is a very basic form of antenna that can be simulated. if you do a search you will be able to find tutorials on dipole antenna simulation on HFSS.

Equations are fairly simple as well.refer to the books you already have kraus and balanis, they should be more than enough.

if you need any further help.feel free to post.

Regards
ChachitoEL

Hello Piyush

Dipole is a very basic form of antenna that can be simulated. if you do a search you will be able to find tutorials on dipole antenna simulation on HFSS.

Equations are fairly simple as well.refer to the books you already have kraus and balanis, they should be more than enough.

if you need any further help.feel free to post.

Regards
ChachitoEL

please help me design LOG periodic dipole(cylindrical) antenna from the scratch for same frequency range.
please provide design equations too so that i can calculate dimensions and other parameters.

Why design a complex multiple element LP dipole antenna, covering only 9% of total bandwidth?

Perhaps is better to use a Yagi Antenna with few elements, much easier to build and for the same aperture as Log Periodic has higher gain (and narrower bandwidth).

The above mentioned LPD antenna system in the frequency range of (108-117MHZ) is used in india as well as in other countries in Civil aviation for Instrument Landing System(ILS's) component named Localizer.
My motive is to study and simulate this antenna system

ILS localizer system use 108-112 MHz which is a relative narrow span, easily covered with a Yagi antenna.
LPD have less gain and directivity for same amount of elements. LPD's can have wider frequency coverage, which is its main advantage compared to a Yagi antenna, but that is of no use for ILS.
An array of 10-20 antennas located at the far end of the runway is used for giving the beam correct shape. Half of these antennas transmit in lower part of band and the other in upper part of 108-112 MHz, with a max beam direction a few degrees apart.
I know nothing about ILS, more then that my local airport have 3-element Yagi antennas. It is possible there is a for me unknown reason to use LPD antennas. Simpler beam forming or need of supporting other radio frequency systems do not seems likely?

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back