Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low crystal frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

sankar.m8

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to generate low frequency 585.5Hz exactly as part of my project. Is there any crystal or oscillator available? All suggestions are welcome...

Since you posted on the microcontroller section, the answer could be: use a microcontroller to do it. You can use a small 8-pin microcontroller (maybe PIC10/12 or ATTINY). You can use a 32.768kHz oscillator and then use timer or software delay to generate 585.5Hz. There might be slight error due to slight inaccuracy of the oscillator, but that is likely to be very small.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

You can use a 32.768kHz oscillator and then use timer or software delay to generate 585.5Hz
Yes, 585.14 would be an integer part. An uP also gives the option to implement a fractional divider, that achieves exact average frequency, but with a jitter. Everything depends on the specification.

To achieve the exact frequency with a low ppm and jitter tolerance, I would go for a programmable crystal oscillator and a binary frequency divider.

The frequency i have to use is critical exactly 588.23kHz.Is there any combination with available crystals so that i can use frequency divider and all.

exactly 588.23kHz
585.5Hz exactly
???

Is there any combination with available crystals
Do you own a pocket calculator? There may be very different opinions what available crystals are, so you'll need to try yourself, I think. Otherwise, I keep my programmable oscillator sugestion. Cardinal has acceptable jitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.