Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low cost DC to AC converter / inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenard1605

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
20150930_021049.jpg

Hi guys,

I build this circuit out of curiosity to make DC to AC converter for my workbench (sorry 'bout the drawing in it). Try to configure this i use 555 timer to generate 120hz to make the flipflop generate 60hz then I added 10k, 1k resistor and a 1uF resistor then i use a d flipflop as my inverted output at the same time i used it as driver of H-bridge n-type mosfet (feel free to choose any) then i use 7805 ic to power up the timer and flipflop..... why d-flipflop? Because its cheap that simple...

Are you saying that the FF was able to drive the bridge and worked fine without any additional circuit to ensure dead-time / voltage shift ?

"I build this circuit" should be read as "I didn't yet operate it"?

To andre: it was given that FF output current is max of 20ma said on the datasheet if your looking at 1.... ofcourse it can drive low-profile (low power) mosfet... duh.... i used it on my project at school..... but if you want more sophisticated device i prefer use sg3524n... please be reminded to read the datasheet carefully.......

How much more would it really cost to use a designed H-bridge
driver IC to buffer the DFF's output up to reasonable sized FET
gate loads? Or are you looking for a trivial output current on
this project (claiming a DFF can drive a power FET, might be
true in some sense for some size of FET, but liable to be a
disappointment). I would expect the gate transition times to
be rather leisurely and prone to cross conduction in the bridge
legs.

Well... to tell the truth our professor challenge us to built a circuit using DFF as part.. to give an Alternating output atleast upto 100mA enough to drive a motor in 60hz frequency... the only parts i do have is 2n7000 and a 555timer... but if you have any suggestions please let me be advised....

The 2n700 is a very small mosfet. it has a typical RDSon of 1.2 to 5 ohms. And that is with a very low 60 volt breakdown voltage.

As others have mentioned, you may still use a D flip flop to generate the basic timing signals, but a legitimate bridge driver, with high voltage withstanding and current sourcing capabilities, plus dead time adjustments, is necessary to properly drive an AC-motor capable inverter.

For instance: http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/ir7184s.pdf

What voltage is the motor you have to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.