Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] losses in microstrip line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manjuladevi

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI all, I'm a researcher, i'm getting an error, when i was simulate 100 mm,er-2.55,-50 ohm transmission line from (500 Mhz to 6 GHz), im getting an insertion loss for 2.5 GHz will be -0.1 dB but practically i haven't getting that result. I got -0.35 db. what is the loss behind in it, and also i have cross verified calibration and SMA soldering.
please help me!

100mm (10cm) is a long microstrip circuit working at 2.5GHz. Small variations (from the simulated ones) of dielectric constant, dissipation factor, substrate height, trace width, strip discontinuities, would affect the final instertion loss.

I don't know what substrate you are using, but if is about Arlon AD255, this one should be a good quality substrate, with very small variations of parameters from low frequencies up to 10GHz.
At 500MHz and at 6GHz, how is the insertion loss compared to simulation?

Is that really loss (dissipation) or just reflected?
What is your S11?

Another additional error mechanism is -seen frequently- Manufacturing Errors.

100mm (10cm) is a long microstrip circuit working at 2.5GHz. Small variations (from the simulated ones) of dielectric constant, dissipation factor, substrate height, trace width, strip discontinuities, would affect the final instertion loss.

I don't know what substrate you are using, but if is about Arlon AD255, this one should be a good quality substrate, with very small variations of parameters from low frequencies up to 10GHz.
I have compared S21 from simulated and measured from VNA

To check for manufacturing errors, you may need to inspect the board with a camera system. Check that the traces have the correct width as intended; sometimes when traces are long; width of the line may change.

To check for manufacturing errors, you may need to inspect the board with a camera system. Check that the traces have the correct width as intended; sometimes when traces are long; width of the line may change.
how traces related with width..width is mainly depend on impedance but traces are not like that

Directly i'm taking s2p plots mapped to xcel and make it as a comparison from 500M to 2.5G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back