Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looping with variable parameter not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

nageshnaik

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to make a loop that repeats itself a variable number of times according to the input. i have worked out a code for it. This code compiles well but a output i get zero as answer. Can anyone help me rectify this issue.

i am giving both the uut and tb. Please help me rectify the issue.

UUT:

Code VHDL - [expand]
library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_ARITH.ALL;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL;
use ieee.numeric_std.all;

entity loopagain is
 Port (    a : in  STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (15 downto 0);
           b : in  STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (15 downto 0);
           y : out  STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (15 downto 0));
end loopagain;

architecture Behavioral of loopagain is

signal sh1 :std_logic_vector(15 downto 0) := (others => '0');
signal s1 : bit_vector(15 downto 0);
signal k : bit_vector(15 downto 0);
signal lp : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0) := (others => '0');

begin

process (a,b)
begin
lp <= b;
s1 <= TO_BITVECTOR(a);
while (lp > 0) loop
    k <= s1 sll 1;
    s1 <= k;
    lp <= lp - "0000000000000001";
end loop;   

sh1 <= to_stdlogicvector(k) ;
y <= sh1;

end process;

end Behavioral;

Testbench:

Code VHDL - [expand]
LIBRARY ieee;
USE ieee.std_logic_1164.ALL;
USE ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;
USE ieee.numeric_std.ALL;

ENTITY loopagaintb IS
END loopagaintb;

ARCHITECTURE behavior OF loopagaintb IS 

-- Component Declaration for the Unit Under Test (UUT)

COMPONENT loopagain
    PORT(
         a : IN  std_logic_vector(15 downto 0);
         b : IN  std_logic_vector(15 downto 0);
         y : OUT  std_logic_vector(15 downto 0)
        );
    END COMPONENT;

--Inputs
   signal a : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0) := (others => '0');
   signal b : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0) := (others => '0');

--Outputs
   signal y : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0);

BEGIN

-- Instantiate the Unit Under Test (UUT)
   uut: loopagain PORT MAP (
          a => a,
          b => b,
          y => y
        );

-- No clocks detected in port list. Replace <clock> below with 
   -- appropriate port name 

-- Stimulus process
   stim_proc: process
   begin        
      -- hold reset state for 100ms.
      wait for 100ns;   

a <= "0000000000000011";
      b <= "0000000000000001";

-- insert stimulus here 

wait;
   end process;

END;

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure what's the purpose of the code example, it's not synthesizable thus I assume it's just an exercise to be run in the simulator.

For working of the loop construct, all assignments inside the always block must be changed to blocking "=" assignments instead of non-blocking "<=". It's the suggested style for combinational always blocks and required for all variables that are re-read inside the always block.

P.S.:
Curiously I tranlated the code inside my head and was commenting it as if it was written in Verilog. As Barry told, using variables for all data that are re-read inside the process solves the problem.

Last edited:

I don't really know what you are trying to do here, but the problem is most likely due to the fact that you are using a signal rather than a variable for lp. Basically, signals only change value at the end of a process; variables change immediately.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I'm not sure what's the purpose of the code example, it's not synthesizable thus I assume it's just an exercise to be run in the simulator.

For working of the loop construct, all assignments inside the always block must be changed to blocking "=" assignments instead of non-blocking "<=". It's the suggested style for combinational always blocks and required for all variables that are re-read inside the always block.

P.S.:
Curiously I tranlated the code inside my head and was commenting it as if it was written in Verilog. As Barry told, using variables for all data that are re-read inside the process solves the problem.

actually i am trying to work on floating point operation wherein i have to adjust the mantissa according to exponent difference. so i was trying to workout some loops that repeat themselves on the value they receive and not on a preassigned value, something like a variable loop

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really know what you are trying to do here, but the problem is most likely due to the fact that you are using a signal rather than a variable for lp. Basically, signals only change value at the end of a process; variables change immediately.

actually i am trying to work on floating point operation wherein i have to adjust the mantissa according to exponent difference. so i was trying to workout some loops that repeat themselves on the value they receive and not on a preassigned value, something like a variable loop

but what is the end goal? as FvM Already said, this code cannot be synthesised for an FPGA, or into any hardware.

A shift_left() function can be used with variable shift count and is synthesizable. It can be implemented as a multiplexer tree for each bit and should be sufficiently fast for reasonable bit widths. Alternatively the shift operation can be performed sequentially in a shift register, needing N clock cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back