Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for unix shell emulator for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmoib

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear all,
i'm searching for a unix shell emulator that could run under windows, i just want to try unicx shell commands.

thanks in advance.

unix emulator

I like coLinux - it runs Linux in a window. You can install apps, servers, X stuff, etc. The Linux file system is stored in a large Windows file, so no need to repartition your hard drive or reboot.
**broken link removed**

unix emulator

Probably CYGWIN can meet your requirement.

h**p://www.cygwin.com/

unix emulator

Also, you can run VMWare or Bochs if you want a complete system in your Windows session.

Re: unix emulator

You can use Microsoft Virtual PC too.

hope this help

is virtual machine of MS good?

I think the best is cygwin, but you can use Virtual PC or VMWare to install linux in a virtual machine in your PC.

Hope this help

You may prefer 100% free emulator for i386 and PPC

QEMU
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

And for helping the GUI interface [Win32] you may get the file here:
www.davereyn.co.uk/download.htm

And for other OS such as Linux the GUI based interface software can be taken here:

**broken link removed**

Added after 3 minutes:

I think the old Virtual PC by Connectix is better than Virtual PC by Microsoft. but it will slow down your computer. The most important is that it is NOT FREE

unix emulator

If you can reach a target directly, why will you de-tour so far ? Suggest install a linux box directly for yourself, after all this is the best way to learn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.