Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for source code of RS232 and PIC18F2685

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecrumb88

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can anyone give source code for RS232 and PIC18f2685?
i tried to interface between them but it's not working..
help me please..

Re: RS232 and PIC18F2685

None of the PICs are RS232 compatible. You must use a hardware solution to convert the VSS to VDD voltage swing at their TX pin to RS232 levels and similarly to convert RS232 to lower voltage to feed the RX pin. The most commonly used parts are the MAXIM MAX232 and MAX3232 devices and their equivalents from other manufacturers.

Brian.

ok..on the same circuit there are pic18f2685 and max232..did you mean to make programming for max232 inside pic18f2685??
clarify me please..really appreciate your help..

Hi,

The Max232 chip is purely hardware, you output your data on the USART serial link of the Pic chip and the Max converts the Pics +5v signals to RS232 -+12v levels for the PCs serial port.

You don't say which complier you are using , C I assume ? - expect your complier has a seriall module built in, if not, plenty of examples in this forum ( don't do C myself)

I think you confused RS232 with serial data. RS232 is a specification for sending data down cables between equipment, it defines the voltage levels used, typically +12V for a logic 0 and -12V for a logic 1. I think you are referring to the data as it leaves the PIC which is produced by the UART module inside it and uses VSS for logic 0 and VDD for logic 1. The MAX 232 inverts the signal and changes the VDD supply voltage to 12V. It does this electrically and no software or programming is needed.

Back to your first post, what isn't working?
What is at the other end of the RS232 link?
Is data flowing one way but not the other?
Have you tried a loop-back test?

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back